Just ten short years ago, the Flint Institute of Arts raised funds to renovate
and expand the original 1957 facility. Hundreds of donors stepped forward
and funded the two phases of a $20 million project designed by Los Angeles
architects Frederick Fisher and Partners. Grant awards received from national
and local foundations, corporations, and businesses, as well as contributions
from FIA members, students, and individuals brought the project to fruition.
The impetus for the renovation and expansion was to meet the needs of a
growing museum collection and art school enrollment. Our community’s tremendous response and endorsement of the project was testimony to their strong commitment to the vitality of the visual arts here in Flint.
Since then, the FIA has been experiencing measurable growth in studio enrollment, gallery attendance, programs, and facility rentals. Annual attendance has doubled, facility use generates earned income and serves thousands of people annually, and the Art School has not only expanded its studio offerings but in 2013 expanded the building again to accommodate the demand.
Today, the FIA is embarking on a capital project that will raise the profile of the museum and yet another attractive venue for the Flint Cultural Center, the City of Flint, and Genesee County.