Louis Comfort TiffanyAmerican, 1848 - 1933
Agnes F. NorthropAmerican, 1857 - 1953
Stained Glass Window, n.d.
- On View
Leaded Favrile glass
Dimensions: 47 3/8 × 31 1/8 in. (120.3 × 79.1 cm)
Gift of Fred Bellairs, Robert Bellairs, Mary-Linn Benning, Bill Bishop, Bruce Bishop, Elizabeth Bishop, Falding Bishop, Russ Bishop, Katie Kutschinski, Barbara Miner, Bruce Miner, Doug Miner, Fritz Miner, Beth Osborne and Barbara Spiess, 2014.35
Louis Comfort Tiffany, one of America’s most acclaimed artists, whose career spanned from the 1870s through the 1920s, embraced virtually every artistic and decorative medium, designing and directing his studios to produce leaded-glass windows, mosaics, lighting, pottery, metalwork, enamels, jewelry, and designed interiors. As the son of Charles Lewis Tiffany (1812–1902), founder of Tiffany & Company, the renowned jewelry and silver firm, Louis Comfort Tiffany chose to pursue his own artistic interests in lieu of joining the family business. Of all of Tiffany's artistic endeavors, leaded-glass brought him the greatest recognition. Tiffany revolutionized the stained-glass process, which had remained essentially unchanged since medieval times. Before Tiffany invented his Favrile process, details on stained glass were painted on. The Favrile production process involved treating hot glass with metallic oxides that were then absorbed into the glass, which resulted in luxurious and lustrous glass surfaces. This stained glass window was originally installed in the Bishop-Miner mausoleum in Glenwood Cemetery on Court Street in Flint. On behalf of the family, Fred Bellairs, grandson of Katharine Bishop Miner, organized the removal of the window for its safety and its donation to the FIA. The Bishop name, whose patriarch was banker Arthur G. Bishop, appears on several works of art donated to the FIA, including Mrs. Frederick B. Miner (Katharine Bishop), Mrs. R. Spencer Bishop, Sr. (Mary Bishop), Mr. Russell S. Bishop, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. A. William Bishop, and Betty Bishop Catto.Image Permissions