The Flint Institute of Arts celebrates the life of Bess Hurand, 1920–2015. Bess became a member of the FIA in 1959 and since then served as a Trustee, Docent, President of the Founders Society, and consummate patron. Together with husband Art and their children, the Hurand family gave significant gifts to the Capital Campaign, the permanent collection, and endowment. In 2005, the FIA designated the Hurand Sculpture Courtyard in their honor. It is an extraordinary outdoor gallery named in honor of decades of dedication.